Writing as Paula Riley, my stories and photos on topics from travel to culture and business to environment have appeared in: Reno Gazette-Journal, Reno News & Review, Nevada magazine, Sierra Living, Montana Living, Fairways & Greens magazine, Comstock Business magazine, Washoe Family, RLife magazine, Range magazine, Nevada in the West, Artown-Reno, and on Audubon International’s website. I have written a number of tech pieces for yet2.com, an international marketing website.
I also edit fiction and non-fiction and have produced non-fiction book concepts and proposal work, and written extensively for non-profit/public service programs and the Second Judicial District Court.
I am an 18-year member of High Sierra Writers, a northern Nevada group for which I have provided educational presentations. I've held four Board positions for this group, including the president's post.
Writing as Pjo Riley, I have published two memoirs: Atheist in Church, and Postcards from Planet Eldercare. They are currently available through Amazon.com, Buy Nevada First stores, and book retailers nationwide.
* 2016 -- Guest author in a 5-week caregiving workshop using my Postcards for Planet Eldercare book
* 2007-current -- Presenter of educational programs for High Sierra Writers audiences
* 2013-14 -- Public workshops on the basics of writing memoir, for Reno's month-long Artown event
* 2006-2011, 2018 -- TMCC Workforce Development & Continuing Education - instructor of freelance writing basics
* 2005 & 08 -- TMCC Writers Conference presenter
* 2005 Instructor/creative arts for Northern Nevada Home Schooling Association
* Fall 2004 -- Presenter at National Auto Museum-hosted literary program
* Two-time Artown participant, writing spontaneous prose in exchange for cash and food donations for Food Bank of Northern Nevada
Homegrown authors like me succeed with the support of indie bookstores. The image above shows my sales table at the Women's Expo in Reno. Here, a local firefighter accepts my donation for the Children's Cancer Fund.
More opportunities to gain book fans!
At left I'm sharing journaling and storytelling tactics with attendees of a 2016 caregiving workshop where my Postcards from Planet Eldercare book was featured. Thanks to therapists Beth Williams and LuAnne Steininger for hosting me, and best wishes to caregivers everywhere.
Another successful writing workshop sponsored by High Sierra Writers (www.highsierrawriters.org). On Nov. 12, 2016 Lynda Bailey ran the video screen and chimed in as I led a group of a dozen writers through the basics of formatting their books for print-on-demand, a type of self-publishing for authors.
This is from a 2004 presentation at the National Auto Museum in Reno, a short program on travel writing.
An expanded version became my TMCC course on
breaking into freelance writing.